Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Consumer’s Guide to Selecting a Realtor

Ask agents that you are interviewing these questions to see if they are qualified to sell your home.

How many homes have you personally sold?

I want to make sure that the agent I select has a strong personal sales track record. Show me you have the skills, knowledge, and experience to get me the results I want. How many transactions have you personally completed in each of the past 3 years? How many so far this year? How does that compare to the industry averages in my area? How many homes have you sold in my neighborhood?

Do you have dozens of buyer and seller references I can call?
I want extraordinary service. What do your clients say about your business and personal skills? Can you provide me with the names and phone numbers of several buyers and sellers, in addition to written testimonial letters?

How often does your company sell its own listings?

I’m concerned about Realtor conflict of interest that could work against me and possibly lose me money. If I accept a purchase offer from an agent employed by the same Company as the agent I list with (or one of its branch offices), isn't it true that a conflict of interest exists and I’ll lose my exclusive seller representation?

What Realtor networking and Internet marketing do you do?


I want an agent who knows how to find me a buyer, not one who simply puts my home in the Multiple Listing Service and passively waits for something to happen.

Can you show me in writing the different marketing strategies that you’ll use to sell my home?

Will you put my home in multiple popular real estate search sites?

What personal networking and nationwide marketing systems do you use? What target marketing programs have you established?

What is the address of your World Wide Web home page?

What information is on your Web Site?


Can you guarantee that you'll personally answer all calls on my home?
Please confirm that you'll personally answer all calls about my home. I don't want an inexperienced and/or part-time agent, or a receptionist; people who may not have even seen my home answering telephone calls from buyers. How can they sell something they haven’t even seen?

Do you have an assistant?

If so, once I hire you do I talk to your assistant all the time? How difficult is it to get in touch with you if I call your office and want to talk with you directly?

Do you become a secret agent?


Do you have photos of our home on your web site?


Do you have several photos of my home with its own unique URL address so buyers can go directly to it without having to go through many steps to see my listing?


Tell me about your For Sale signs.


Are your For Sale signs anything special, or what most brokerages use?

Do you have brochure boxes on your for sale signs? And if so, who fills it?

What happens if it runs out of brochures like so many in the neighborhoods that I see? How long will it take to have the sign installed on my property?


What type of Brochure will you use?


Do you do your own desktop publishing or hire a print shop?

How long will it take to get a finished copy in my home? Will it be in color with pictures?


How will you protect me?


I want to make sure I’m protected in my sale. Will there be thorough documentation of all transaction details? Do you have your own personal dedicated FAX machine to make sure all communications are kept confidential? How about your own direct telephone so I can call you and not get the run around from the office secretary? Do you have a cellular phone that I can call you on and a voice mail pager in an emergency if I need you? Do you have an e-mail address so I can communicate with you instantaneously?

Once I sign the listing contract will you be gone and a secret agent?

No comments: